Blenda Spot

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Collections...

I'm exhausted!!! I had trouble sleeping last night, probably thinking about Monday's surgery. ...Not necessarily concerned, just on my mind. Anyway...I got up at 3:15AM this morning because I couldn't get back to sleep. I can't stand being in bed when I can't sleep. That just makes me nuts! I'll get up and do just about anything...write letters, clean, you name it, anything to just not lay there and look at the clock.

So after I got up I decided to do a little cleaning. I had decorative pieces on the tops of my kitchen cabinets that had been there quite a while. They were in place as I liked them and were high enough to hide dust, so there they sat. I decided I'd take everything down and clean. I did just that. While I was washing and cleaning, I started to think about "collections". It's interesting what could become a person's collection.

I've been very much into the American Flag all of my life and enjoy collecting flag motif pieces. I don't want something just because it has a flag on it. I have to really like the item in order to purchase it. I don't have shelves full of things flag oriented or a room dedicated to the "red, white, and blue", but instead I decorate with the individual pieces throughout the house. I guess you could call that one of my collections. It's probably the most normal.

In addition to flag pieces, I also collect wishbones and bird's nests. I've collected them for years. When I cook a chicken or turkey, I always save the wishbones. If I go to a family member or friend's home for a holiday dinner where poultry is served, I'll also ask for the wishbone if no one else wants to claim it. I'm not pushy or sensitive about it, I just enjoy collecting them and have nearly 50 different sized wishbones decorating my kitchen area.

Now for the bird's nests, I have 13 of them at this point. I will not disturb birds to gain the nests. Mine have been deserted or found laying on the ground. I find it interesting what a bird will use to make a nest. I've seen plastic, feathers, hair, lint, sticks, mud, fur, leaves and many more interesting things. In addition to the nests I've found, I also have one that Cassie made when she was in elementary school. That was interesting, drying mud in the oven!

The bird's nests and wishbones are things that have caused a few raised eyebrows over the years. My daughter used to feel like she was the little girl whose mother had "bones" hanging all over her kitchen. I suppose the bird's nests could have the same effect. I also grow and dry herbs. Rex has built several drying racks for my herbs.

Interestingly enough, I'd probably have been suspected of witchcraft in years past. With wishbones, bird's nests and herbs hanging all over the place, I might have been suspect to the townsfolk.

What are some of your "collections"?

Later.....

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At August 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM , Blogger cassiejohanna said...

    I used to have collections - Eeyores and Beatles things. Now I don't really actively collect things. I have built up a decent book collection, and we have a large collection of dvds and video games. However, I don't generally categorize those as "collectables". Maybe I'm boring and maybe I just haven't hit my stride yet. I think your flag collection is neat! And I'm no longer concerned about the wishbones. Whatever floats your boat, as they say. :)

     
  • At August 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Blenda J. Bewley said...

    Thanks!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home